Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Out of Sight Out of Mind


Not being a monogamous knitter I have several projects on Hiatus. All different stages of progress' and my organization of these projects leaves much to be desired. Seems when I put a project on a time out they seem to get forgotten. This is a little scarf I started a couple of years ago and I took it out again hopefully to finish this winter while the weather is still cold. When the weather is warm it's really hard for me to knit something so warm and Alpaca is a very warm fiber.

I'm using a size 4 addi turbo lace needle. With a piece of felted strip. I was at Madrona Fiber Fest and there was a lady from Skacel demonstrating "artfelt". I made this little piece and did not know what to do with it. When I got home I decided to pick up some stitches and start a scarf.

From the Skacel web site:
"It’s not needle felting. It’s not wet felting. It’s not fulling. It’s artfelt® – and it is revolutionizing the way we felt."
20130115-144729.jpg

I often like to mix it up and use felted material with hand knitting. I've made several other projects this way and I'll share  more of this technique as I progress. The knitting part I'm using a technique called Shadow Knitting. 


20130115-151144.jpg

I just checked the weather and even though it's looking warm and it's telling me that it's nice, I'm cold there is a cold breeze from the ocean and if this scarf was finished I'd be wearing it. Then do you see how it's telling us that it's warming up? That is very deceiving it's winter warm, when it will reach the "high" but maybe for 5 minutes at noon, and it gets cold. I apologize for those who are suffering from a "real" winter but we are just not used to this stuff here in Southern California. 

20130115-152710.jpg

No comments: