Thursday, January 17, 2013

Because it sang to me.


Currently on the needles, close but "no cigar". I'm frogging.

20130117-085707.jpg

Why do I pick one project over another? Simply because it sang to me.! No logic no rhyme or reason it simply caught my fancy. I will not knit on commission and have a hard time knitting for others. Unless the person is very dear to me and most of all a knit appreciator. Someone who really knows how much actual work goes into a hand knit item.

I'm lucky in my immediate family they just don't like hand knitted items. For whatever reason I don't know because I so love wearing them. This turns out to be lucky for me. Other than once in a while I will knit a pair of wool socks or a wool hat that is it for my immediate family. If I'm wearing something and a dear friend admires it I have happily given them the piece. But no knitting on command or commission it seems to take all the fun out of it.

Many many years ago, I was around 18 and a bit inexperienced with these matters but I was young. I was knitting a shawl for myself and my roommates boyfriend asked if I would knit him a cabled "fisherman" type sweater. Somehow he talked me into it offering to buy all the materials and paying me to take on this commission. I guess I was flattered that he would pick me to knit him a sweater. I told you I was a bit naive about this stuff.

We went and bought the materials and I got started right away but I was young and there was some partying to do so the knitting got put on the back burner. I think I finished the back and halfway up the front. And the project slowly became a night mare. I hated knitting on it and the boyfriend started to get inpatient. Why aren't you knitting? He would ask me periodically. First it was kind of polite "oh I'm busy with some other things" and slowly but surely it became an issue!

One night I was getting ready to go out and "the boyfriend" (I really have forgotten his name) demanded that I stay home and finish his sweater! Are you crazy? No he says I'm paying you! To which I said if I pay you will you leave me alone?

No comments: