Thursday, August 13, 2009

Bugga, Bugga.....

What in the world is that? Bugga, I'd never heard of it before my friend Marla asked me to pick up some yarn at the Sock Summit Market Place. She asked me to please go there first because it will sell out. I was skeptical and wondered how she would know this and what the heck it was she was asking for. She wanted me to buy $100 dollars worth of yarn. I asked what color and as you will ready the story you will see what a silly question that was.

Marla did write down some colors she wanted, names like Blowfly and Oak Timberworm, Ruby Tailed Wasp. I was totally confused. But ok I am now curious what is so special and why would she say that she know that it will sell out in a minute. The name of the yarn is The Sanguine Gryphon.

Here is a pictorial of what went down. The market place was open on Thursday afternoon for 2 hours for registered students. Which was a very nice gesture we felt kind of special of having the market place all to ourselves and getting first crack at some of the special yarns like "Bugga".

I lined up early because I did not have classes that afternoon and was waiting for my roommate Joan to finish her class. I ended up at the very front of the line and the first ten women were all talking about Bugga. I was kind of wondering weather I should go there first or hit some of the other special vendors I was interested in. They all told me no just to go there first but to run. Really? Oh yes it will sell out in minutes.

We are starting to line up in front of the doors ..... and by the time I made it to the booth rushing as fast as I could this is what I found

I could barely get in there to grab let alone look for colors.



This picture is within 3 minutes, see the woman with the long hair and the arm full of yarn? This is the line to pay and there I am on the left, you can just see half of my face I have on my banana earrings and yes my arms are full of yarn. I just barely was able to get in there and so I grabbed what I could. The yarn is 70% washable wool, 20% cashmere and 10% nylon 412 yards of hand-painted sock yarn.


Within 5 minutes everything was sold out and the line to pay was very long. If you look carefully at this picture below you can see a woman reaching for the very last skein that was there.




One of the funniest sites was how some of the other merchants came running to see what was going on and as we all went running past them the look of puzzlement on their faces. Some were asking "where are you all running to we have yarn right here?" I would answer I don't know but I'm following them.

I ended up with a lot of yarn but my friend Marla will be happy and I'm sure some of my Knitting buddies from the stitch and bitch groups I belong to will buy the left overs I have. The color I fell in love with is "Hogwood Bonking Beetle". A deep rich red, I am planning to make a Christmas Sweater out of the four skeins I got.

3 comments:

Molly said...

Ana please bring some to the 8/22 SnB. I have seen that yarn listed on many "seeking" lists on Ravelry but have never seen it live.

Thanks for posting such great photos and stories. You make it less painful that I wasn't able to attend.

And happy birthday!

Marla said...

You rock! I love your post about Sock Summit and I am proud to have turned you into a Bugga!-holic. I love all of my beautiful Buggas. Next time I'll be there with you.
Marla

Heather Hoffman said...

I'll be there Saturday, also looking forward to seeing the Bugga.