Sunday, March 11, 2007

At last finished!

I no longer call this "freeform" knitting I now call this method "abstract" knitting. No particular pattern used but an idea is sort of followed, in this case sort of the "Einstein" sweater but adding lots of other elements. It started out as a crochet scarf. I didn't like how it was turning out so I put it aside.

One day I saw this unfinished scarf and did not have the heart to "frog" (unravel) it so I added to it. Maybe now it could be a vest....Then once again put it away it was just not looking and fitting right..... finally not too long ago as I was reviewing my UFO's (unfinished objects) so I decided that this one needed to be finished or tossed! I tried it on and decided that a short row front was all that was needed and it completed the look. Now it fits and feels comfy to wear.




This one took me quite some time. I got this chenille yarn a long time ago because it was cheap. For good reason, chenille is very difficult to knit with because it's so flat "ribbon like" and if not knitted properly it "worms". So when knitting it has to be done slower and make sure that each stitch is pulled properly and watch out for "coils".

Now I feel I should explain "worming" because when it was first mentioned to me I said "what" "worm" what is that? It is when the yarn kind of gets stuck sort of "coils" and more yarn gets used accidentally than the stitch actually requires. Then all of a sudden you have this odd long stitch they call them worms. Sorry this is the best I can do in explaining this phenomena.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I really like how this turned out! Very creative & nice that you didn't frog it after all.

Ellen Bloom said...

Worms, Be Gone! Love the new "abstract" description of your designing style! It's a perfect fit!

Anonymous said...

Love this. And I want one. But then I wandered down to the Dobos Torta saga and cracked up. I actually used to make Dobos Torta and didn't find it too difficult. It took less than a day. And what's the problem cooking numerous layers on the BOTTOMs of cake pans? Now Rigo Jancsi (Little Sparrow John) usually took me two days, or one long day never taking my eyes off the various fillings and glazes (all chocolate) to make sure they were the perfect temperature for whipping, layering or drizzling. That has got to be the all time richest, best dessert on the planet. And the story that goes with it is priceless. Are they selling Rigo Jancsi at your bakery?