Wednesday, October 08, 2008

And the Winner is...

Julia Nish!
I was asked to judge students work at FIDM (Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising). I had such a good time, it was wonderful to see young designers just beginning in their career putting together their portfolio and a small collections.


There was some pretty impressive work but one stood out Julia Nish!

She just had an "elegant eye" her dress she designed and knit and the over all presentation of her portfolio stood out.

Some of the students work needed some more polish and some looked like "loving hands" made it but it was great to see young people the up and coming future designers.

Machine knitting is not as easy as it seems, one of the previous graduates was telling me that designing knit wear is far more difficult than fashion design. There is "lots of math involved" was his remark.

All the work was done on knitting machines and designed in "Illustrator" and "PhotoShop". I was surprised to see how much computer knowledge was required. Just learning those programs has a huge learning curve and then adding in knitting machine skills "shish" ....... yes indeed it's not as easy as it looks.

Tricia Shafer is the instructor and it was wonderful to see her. Tricia is a great teacher and she has wonderful teaching skills. I was lucky enough to have her as my teacher when I first got my knitting machines.


I took some pictures of the event take a look.


No comments: