Saturday, January 31, 2009

I'm counting the days....


29 degrees that's cold! Yippie, I get to wear my wool socks, my wool sweaters and my winter coat! Because we have not had much winter around here I'm looking forward to some cooler weather! I have so many wool projects that I can't wear too often around here, so I can hardly wait for a bit of a change. Our summer weather here in Southern California in early February is just not suitable for winter clothes.

81 degrees yesterday...... I'm glad to see we are cooling down and expecting rain on Thursday and Friday. At least I can test my rain shoes. I always obsess which shoes to wear on a trip more so than clothing. Taking into consideration that we have to take our shoes off for security then walking, rainproof, just hanging around etc. I'm wearing my MBT "The anit-shoe" (Nice web site BTW) but they are not very dressy I think comfort wins. And my all time favorite Crocs always wins out.


I can hardly wait to get out of here little R&R is needed badly. Don't get me wrong I love my family and my dogs but once in a while I just need a break. What better mini vacation than to get together with knitters and take a few knitting classes buy yarn etc. I'm getting ready to go to the Madrona Firber Arts Winter Retreat!

Some of the classes I'm signed up for have homework some just have supplies I need to gather! Yikes I better get cracking.

CHRIS CONRAD
OH, WHAT A TANGLED SKEIN – DYEING YARN
SUPPLIES TO BRING TO CLASS – NO HOMEWORK
1. rubber/disposable gloves,
2. apron and dye-appropriate clothes.
3. 35 yards each of 1-3 yarns from your stash. These will be dyed and divided among the participants so each of you go home with lots of samples. If any of the 35 yard sample pieces are all or mostly cotton, please presoak them in water before class.

This one I am not doing! I was kind of anxious to meet Sally and looked forward to her class but with the homework requirement I am considering dropping the class!

The first requirement is to put on a leotard when mentioned to friends we all had a good laugh! I may have to use my "dummy" form to photograph as my stand in because I am not photographing myself in a tight leotard!

I have not had a tight leotard on my body for many years and I don't think I will be wearing one in the near future.
SALLY MELVILLE

KNIT TO FLATTER AND FIT
HOMEWORK: It is essential that this exercise be completed. You will be disappointed if you don’t do this!
  1. 1. Dress in close-fit lingerie. (You may add a bodysuit or leotard or tights, but do wear supportive lingerie.)
  2. . Standing straight, with arms slightly away from your side, have someone take a straight-on photo of you. (Have the photo fill the screen as much as possible.)
  3. Print the photo to size 8X10 and onto plain paper.
  4. Trace your outline only with a fine black pen.
  5. Take your height in inches, and divide by 8. Round off only to the nearest 1/16”. (For example, if you are 5’ 5”—which is 65”—then 1/8 = 8 1/8”.) You will get the best results if you take the time to get this exact.
  6. Reprint your outline to this height. (If you need, get help from a photocopying expert,) You will get the best results if you take the time to get this exact. And you may bring more than one copy of this outline.
BRING YOUR “OUTLINE” TO CLASS WITH THE FOLLOWING SUPPLIES:
1.Colored paper
2.White paper
3.Scissors
4.Pencil
5.Calculator
6.Measuring tape



BORDERS AND BUTTONHOLES
SUPPLIES TO BRING TO CLASS – HOMEWORK
1. yarn (same weight as homework piece), contrast colour is fine,
2.needles appropriate for ribbing for homework piece,
3.homework pieces (see below).

HOMEWORK:
Use non-textured, light-coloured yarns. Worsted weight is best. Block both swatches.
  1. 1. Work 4X4" swatch in Stst, working selvage sts in Stst also: change to smaller needles and finish with 1" k1p1 rib, and then bind off all stitches with needles MUCH TOO LARGE.
  2. Cast on 24 sts: work 3" St st. DO EXACTLY AS WRITTEN: do not slip sts and do not work short rows. At beg of next RS row, bind off 6 sts. At beg of next RS row, bind off 3 sts. At beg of next RS row, bind off 2 sts. At beg of next 3 RS rows, bind off 1 st. Work 8 rows straight. Bind off all sts.


There are a couple more, but minimal knitting and I plan to do it at the airport. Wish me luck.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have a fabulous time. I'm very jealous. I keep checking on the Socks Summit but they are still in the arranging stage.


Joan W.