Monday, December 04, 2006

First a shawl now a Jacket/shawl...

I'm still playing with Free Form Knitting.....



It all started while I was shopping on Ebay, one of my favorite activities, sometimes it works out well and other times it's "iffy" but that story is for another entry. I see this very nice looking rich chocolate brown knitted pancho pure wool for 15 dollars plus shipping. So I thought I would get this shawl and kind of cheat and maybe add to it or "dress" it up.

The pancho arrives and it looks sort of ok so I went to the yarn store and bought some beautiful chocolate brown yarn that matched it exactly and I thought 2 hanks would be enough to do this dressing up I was dreaming about. Now the pancho cost 15 dollars and the 2 hanks of wool almost 20 dollars. Then I got the yarn at home and decided that it was just too nice to "waste" on this kind of ok pancho.

So I washed the pancho and felted it and made a purse but that only came later. Now I'm going back to the yarn store and got one more hank of yarn and decided to knit a shawl. I did not quite have enough for the size I wanted so I added stripes of yarn from my stash.



I was really having fun with all the colors and the fringe kind of naturally happened because of all the color changes so I left them. Then I added the bottons and wore this shawl for a whole season 2 years ago.









Then I got tired of the look and decided to make something else the fringes were getting old looking and the whole shawl thing was not working. I'm still not crazy about the fun fur fuzzy stuff but the colors work so well together I'll forgive the "fun fur" look.



Back to the yarn store and got more wool added two front panels and a collar with a border all around and voila we have a piece reborn and sweater/shawl.



I wore it yesterday and stopped by my favorite LYS (local yarn store) and several of my favorite knitting friends were there and the sweater/shawl was a great hit. Good color and not too warm for our climate. Another UFO (unfinished object) done and finished.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love how you redesigned that whole thing--how creative! It's lovely.

AR said...

Yay, something new out of something old. Very creative.

Anonymous said...

Lovely shawl! I want to get into knitting clothing...I'm still working on my FIRST sweater, since last February. I'm determined to finish it before the new year.

I saw your comment in Ellen's blog about Venice garden tour. What a fun thing that would be...the secret gardens of Venice.

Anonymous said...

You are the Freeform Queen, my dear!!! Faboo design and colors! Can't wait to see you wear this creation.

Anonymous said...

That's amazing. You know, I always laugh when people tell me I'm "creative" because I knit, because I only follow patterns that someone else wrote.

But you have vision! That's beautiful.

Ana Petrova said...

Thank you, it really is a lot of fun when it works well.

Happy Knitting,
ana

Yarnartist said...

Having seen this "live', I must say it is one of my favorite things that you've made. Love the combination of colors and textures!
E.

ChelleC said...

Your work is just lovely. I'm still not totally sure how you turned a shawl into a jacket construction wise, but it's a gorgeous and striking piece - a piece of yarn art.