Thursday, March 21, 2013

New Class I'm Teaching: Paint Your Project

Painting Yarn Painlessly.

Let there be color!
Turn that boring shawl into something spectacular.


Non Toxic Permanent Acid Colors
Right in your kitchen
Using Food Coloring
Have you ever knit a garment and at the time the colors seemed ok but you never wear it? Maybe the color is just not right. After spending hours and hours of knitting it's a shame to "frog" it or give it away hoping somebody else might like it. I have the solution!

Paint Your Project!
No need to worry about toxic dyes that you may have to wear your mask and dedicated utensils etc. You can easily dye or paint your yarn or project right in your kitchen. Food Coloring!

Not toxic yet it's a permanent pigment that tints animal fibers. It is a PERMANENT dye! That is the number one question I am asked, will it wash right out? NO it's permanent. 
Will it fade fast? Not any different than other acid dyes, some colors fade faster than others and it depends on the "wear and tear" and soaps, sun exposure and such. Some wool breeds hold color better than others and the technique you use may differ as well.

It will not work on cotton, rayon or acrylics. Only protein fibers but boy does it work on those!




The inspiration was this beautiful silk scarf I have and every time I wear it I get many compliments. Why not have a shawl with these colors! So I knit a swatch with natural wool and started painting. I left a portion un-painted so we could see the dramatic difference.


Save the date:

April 28, 2013

Where: Newton's Spring Fling Seminar
in Anaheim, California
(close to Disneyland)

Enrollment limited call to reserve a space: 714-634-9116


1 comment:

Off da Hook Designs said...

Those guys are the best! I will never forget their first music video, the title of which, seems to have slipped my mind.