Sunday, October 21, 2012

Ending one project... What is next?

When I start to get to the "almost" finished stage of a project, I'm already thinking about what project comes next? I have a lot of projects "in waiting" or as my friend Peggy Baxter put it "They are in a time out!" as if they were misbehaving. In a way maybe they were misbehaving for some reason I lost interest and jumped to the next project. There is always something new that catches my eye and I want to make "that".

Sometimes a knitting project is just not turning out as I had hoped and I think maybe if I let it rest for a while next time I pick it up with fresh eyes it will be different. Sometimes it never gets any better and "frogging" is the only answer. (Frogging is a term used by knitters because a frog says "rip it" and we are unraveling or ripping our knitted stitches.)

Frogging is not to be confused with "tinking", that is when you un-knit. Tink is knit backwards and you are un-knitting stitch by stitch to get back to where you made the mistake or something you did not like happened. The knitters are very funny and have their own vocabulary and shorthand. k2, k2tog, p1, k1, ssk, etc. Each of those symbols means something. If all these terms were written out the patterns would become extremely long and hard to follow. When I first saw this it was daunting but I learned this language rather quickly. After all it's not rocket science even though it seems like an impossible language that these weird knitters all understand.




Nice texture and shaping: 



Yesterday the knitting guild I belong to had a field trip to Trendsetter Yarns. 10,000 square feet of warehouse full of yarn. Barry Klein gave us a preview of their Spring 2013 collection. I really like him, he is always smiling and is very gracious. Some of the items were very nice and other pieces were just not me but lots of work goes into all this. I think a good time was had by all. Oh yes I bought a couple little balls of yarn, sparkly yarn. Adding a little pizzaz to something, now just to figure out where to use it. So many projects ...... so little time.

2 comments:

Ellen Bloom said...

We all had a GREAT time! Now, I have to see if I can get my hands on some of Barry's patterns. He's a very clever designer!

Love the sparkly yarn you bought, Ana!

Ana Petrova said...

He is a very nice man too! I really liked some of his designs too. I'm sure he will be at Stitches West.