Monday, January 21, 2008

Garbage Bag Tutorial

I'm not sure how I got started with this kick but here I am, cutting up garbage bags. Having friends save garbage bags and bringing them to me and getting all excited when they bring me an unusual color. My husband came home the other day with two black bags and I was just thrilled.

So here is what I am making, crochet bottom round with a J hook, then chain two and double crochet round and round.



This is how I cut the bags:

First I cut off the ends....


Then we have this nice "tube"

I lay it down flat and fold over the bottom 2 folds, oh about 4" each...

Then I start cutting .....

Then I shake all the cuts loose and it kind of looks like a squid with legs....
Place the uncut center in the center and cut from the side to the first top cut.....

And there you have it one long strand of plastic ready to knit or crochet...

If this was not crystal clear to you I was told that there were lots of tutorials online for this very craft. Apparently others find this amusing as well. I did look but all I could find is the bag cut up in circles then the circles joined together in a chain link style. I did try that method but this one I'm doing seems to go a lot further and is a thinner and more workable material for me.

No comments: