Friday, November 24, 2006

The turkey fry....

Thank goodness there is enough left overs for a few days! I've had it with the chopping and dicing and the washing of the dishes etc. it seemed like it was never ending.... the stuffing... the potato salad..... the vegetables..... the sweet potato.... oh yes we had the works.

We did our annual turkey fry and it was delicious! Ever since I discovered that frying a turkey saves me from having to get up at the crack of dawn to put the turkey in the oven I have assigned my husband for this very manly dangerous task! And oh my he really does a good job, he has special "equipment" and tools he made and "wires" the turkey just so.... yes special tools are needed for this assignment.

We fry the turkeys for 5 to 7 minutes per pound depending...... and the outside skin of the bird gets so nice and crispy and the inside meat is left juicy. We only do it once or twice a year so I figure the fry factor is not that bad for our health.

I usually rub the turkey with spices the night before sort of marinate it then heat up the oil and in she goes. We do this outside in the back yard because it can be a big mess and also dangerous, I've heard of people burning their houses down doing this..

... of course the dogs get locked up just in case we are tempted to drop one of them in the pot.... just kidding! I don't think we would like fried "doggies" although the pot is big enough.....

One turkey done and one more turkey to go:


Ommm Yumm.....

This year I volunteered and we shared some of the good food with our local Police, packed it all up and took it to the Pacific Division Police Department and fed the officers on duty. They work so hard and we so appreciate it.




Our Police Chief Captain Bill Williams with one of the volunteers Chris.




It was quite a feast and we all had a great time and we will be back next year with all the goodies again.

A couple of people asked me my recipe for my stuffing and I realized that I cook exactly how I knit --- freeform cooking --- very similar to --- FreeForm Knitting ---- I take a look at the written recipe and then I close the book and put in what I remember or what I have so each time it is different. This is just my style and so it goes.... Sometimes it works out really well and sometimes it does not.... most of the time it works for me.
  • L.A.P.D. Pacific Area
    12312 Culver Blvd.
    310-482-6334

    Located in the northwest section of the Pacific Area is Venice Beach, a major Southern California tourist attraction. Weekend crowds often number in the tens of thousands. The Los Angeles International Airport is also located in Pacific Area and is one of the busiest airports in the world. Surrounding the airport are many large hotels and businesses. Pacific Area is home to businesses ranging from small family run retail stores to large manufacturing plants.
Links:
L.A.P.D. online
Frying turkeys:
http://www.gumbopages.com/food/poultry/fried-turk.html
http://www.eatturkey.com/recipe/recipe.cgi/2/10874

2 comments:

AR said...

That is so nice. Glad your turkey day was nice!

Ellen Bloom said...

Yummmmm! Those fried turkeys look magnificent! The Venice P.D. is very lucky to have you as neighbors!
Happy Post-T-Day!